Thursday, October 3, 2013

get your swing on

This weekend, I attended an event that will likely never be surpassed in Indy with regards to the enjoyment factor: swing dancing in Fountain Square.  Every second and fourth Friday of the month, Fountain Square Theater holds a swing dance with lessons from 7:30-8:30 and an open dance from 8:30-11:30.  My eyes have been opened to a whole new beautiful world full of spins, rock steps, and gaiety!

Walking in, I felt slightly under-dressed or maybe just wrongly-dressed.  Many people wear proper swing attire--from twirly dresses to suspenders and vests.  As the night went on, though, people with clothing across the spectrum appeared, making me feel less awkward in my jeans and boots.  The lessons were veerryyy basic.  If you have never swung before, going to this part will be very beneficial.  However, if you've even been swing dancing once, the lessons will completely be review. 

The actual dance, on the other hand, harbored dancers of all ages, degrees of experience, ethnicities, and occupations.  I danced with young men who had never swing danced (or I suspect danced at all) before, and I danced with people who positively whirled me off of my feet.  As a very tall young woman, I can sometimes scare off potential dancing partners, but I was surprised to hardly have a break as man after fearless man swooped me onto the floor.  Ladies, be prepared to dance with all the gents, but also don't be afraid to ask a newb for a turn around the floor.

When I needed a bit of a breather, I went up to the balcony to observe the dancers.  My favorite (of course) was this old man in a bright orange shirt who danced with elegance and expertise telling of his many years of practice.  I cannot help but wonder what it would have been like to be a young woman when swing dancing was all the rage.

As for the music, I would have come if only for the sake of listening to the wonderful band play hits from those lovely crooners such as Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.  I have always loved this style of music, and I was quite impressed at the large repertoire and magnificent talent of the band and vocalists! 

All in all, it was a night to be remembered (and repeated).  I am determined to soon be considered one of the Fountain Square swing dancing regulars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment